RobinLythgoe

Robin Lythgoe

Author. I'd open a vein and bleed, but I'd get chocolate all over my keyboard. My world is magic—is yours?
The Redemption of Althalus - David Eddings, Leigh Eddings

For a story by a “fantasy master,” this was incredibly disappointing…

Publisher’s Weekly calls the main protagonist an “engaging young reprobate hero.” I found him irritating, inconsistent, repetitious, full of himself with no good cause, and frequently stupid. Face it, he couldn’t have been very smart if it took him 2500 years to get his basic education from the mysterious “Book” of the god Deiwos. That the goddess Dweia put up with his stupidity for so long makes me doubt her intelligence—which leads us to the rest of the characters. They were all remarkably alike, even down to quoting the same annoying phrases. It didn’t take long at all to tire of Dweia calling Althalus “pet” and him responding to everything she said with either a “yes, dear,” or “if that’s what you want.” I found it hard to care one way or the other about these cardboard characters. Mostly, they were snippy and thought they were funny. They weren’t. “Watch and learn.” Everyone had a shot at that line at least once…

The book started slowly and took a long time to gain any real momentum. And when it did, and things finally started to look like they might possibly get interesting, the way was immediately blocked with great, huge rambling conversations that didn’t just repeat information in the conversation itself, but from previous parts of the story.

The premise had some potential, but there was only one time that the “heroes” faced a real challenge—and that was easily solved. Everyone succeeded, all the time. I lost track of the number of times a scene started with one of the characters reminding another of how they were going to do something they’d gone over twenty times.

The book seriously needs a content editor—it could have been half as long and twice as good.